"Oh! Justice ..." : the history of Boone County, Missouri courthouses
"The Missouri legislature authorized organization of Boone County in 1820 and after a brief beginning at Smithton, county commissioners selected Columbia as the permanent site for the county seat. During the nineteenth and twentieth centuries Boone County courts authorized construction of three courthouses. The first, begun in 1824, became unsuitable by the 1840s. A Greek Revival building replaced it in 1847 and served the county government until after the turn of the century. The third, and present courthouse, was completed in 1909."--Introduction
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License.
Provided for historical documentation only. Check Missouri Extension and Agricultural Experiment Station websites for current information.